Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Words Fail Me...

It has been awhile since I blogged. Since I am awake and don't seem to have the sleep gene tonight (this morning now) I figured it was time.
I can't begin to describe how touched I was by the wonderful Birthday gifts and celebration Dave planned for me. I was surprised on Saturday (January 17) with the arrival of our wonderful friends Andy and Shannon along with their daughter Samantha. I knew that Dave was planning a small get together on Sunday for my parents and my brother, Steve, but was unaware that our friends would fly out from California to make my day so special. My friend Randy drove in from Kansas City on Sunday as well, of all my friends, he is the one who I have known the longest and has a very special place in my heart. (Culture?)

Saturday night, I put my soda boycott on pause and Shannon, Andy, Daverd and I stayed up LATE playing pictionary and laughing so hard I had to run to the bathroom more than once. For those of you that don't know, I love Pictionary. It's my favorite game and I get very competitive with it. (I only cheated once. I might have kind of cheated a couple of other times, but they don't count since everyone else was too!)

Daverd decorated the living room with pink and black streamers and balloons (my color choice - Natalie helped with the decorations and I supervised) and ordered me a wonderful ice cream cake from Dairy Queen. Once my brother arrived on Sunday, Dave began to bring out load after load of gifts. I was in awe and quite frankly so relieved since I had been feeling a little bad that I had only received two cards in the mail. When I began to open the presents, I knew at once what Daverd had done and words can't express how touched I was. I was able to hold in my tears for awhile, but I knew that once I started crying it wouldn't stop and I had worn mascara that day (which I don't do very often). Funnily enough, Kandi's letter was the one that started the flow of tears, but I had a lump in my throat from the beginning.

Daverd had gotten many of my family and loved ones to make plaques for me. Whenever we move into a new house, I get a little upset because he has all kinds of awards. You know "Congratulations for making Master Sergeant" "Great Job, You Brushed Your Teeth" (not really, but I do have to give Daverd a hard time, I'm the only one who will...) But I don't really get anything to put on a wall. I have two beautiful children which are proof that I have done something with my life in the past 10 years, but sometimes it is hard, knowing I have put off my education to make sure I could be home with them, since I decided early on that I wanted to be at home for my kids. There aren't any official awards for those things that many women do, and sometimes when I think about my life, I get down (when I think of all of my friends with careers and college degrees, those who followed their own dreams and achieved personal goals before family ones - the things I would have done if I hadn't started a family at 19.)

Getting the letters/pictures in a frame for me to put up on a wall, helped me so much, that I am struggling to find the words to explain how and why I am so grateful. A lot of people wrote to me or spoke to me of how much I meant to them, especially when they thought I was going to die. When we all found out that I was going to be okay, after the first six months post-transplant, things settled down. Since people seem to always take what I say here personally, please know that I am not writing of one person in particular. That's just the way life and people are. I stopped being wonderful about birthdays and am still nervous about making phone calls. Lives have gone on, and people get busy. I do understand all of that.

These frames are probably the most wonderful Birthday gifts I ever received but didn't ask for. For people to write about why they love me now or why they did and dig up pictures of me or us or things that brought us close was so overwhelming for me that I don't believe any amount of thank yous will be enough. It reminded me how much a small word of kindness, a text, an e-mail, and even a dreaded phone call can mean to someone.

I am still trying to figure out where I want to hang things up, but I do plan on posting pictures of each frame on the blog at some point. If you'd rather I didn't post yours, you can let me know and I won't.

I guess the moral of this post is that my 30th Birthday (extravaganza! yay!) ended up being the best Birthday I have ever had. My husband is amazing for knowing (and keeping a secret from me!) just what I needed, and my friends and family are amazing for giving me some of the most prized possessions I'll ever own. I think my belated New Years resolution will be to try to be better about communication with those I believe I have disappointed the past year in my effort to focus on my recovery, health, and family and to continue to be there for those I haven't.

OH! And the Fruit Pizza was something my Mom made for me. I don't have the recipe, but I am trying to convince her to e-mail it to me to post on the blog!

4 comments:

  1. It was a great day, a great week and your birthday MONTH isn't even over! I will send you the recipe for the pizza which we have renamed "Heaven on Earth" according to Natalie. You are loved

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading your post brought tears to my eyes! Girl... don't get me started! I'm thrilled that you had a fantastic birthday. Again, I wish I was there.

    *MUAH* Happy Healthy Life Aimee and wishes for many many many more to come!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:30 AM

    Another heartfelt and funny at times, entry from Aimee, so nice! I have to say when David sent out the e-mail asking for us to do this for you it brought tears to my eyes. I was so proud of him for first of all realizing that you should be shown appreciation for all that you have done and the fact that he loves and appreciates you so much. It is wonderful to see your children grow into such good people. I also felt lucky to have a daughter in-law who has brought out so much love in my son. You are one of a kind Aimee and we all are so lucky to have you in our lives. Not all accomplishments in life come with diplomas and that sure shows in everything you are and have achieved. It shows in your happy home and your loving husband and children and the the love of all of your family and friends. You can hold your head high when anyone looks at your life. Hat off to you!~Peggy~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:16 PM

    My same sentiments on what Peggy said. We as being military wives and moms don't always get those acknowledgements amd awards our husbands do but I think they would do the same for us if the shoe were on the other foot. Our military life and our friends we have met along the way will stay with us forever. I have contact w/most of them and I hope we never lose contact w/ya'll. What's the chance on that w/Alan & Dave??? None! We very happy to be a part of wonderful
    30th birthday.
    Love, Lulu

    ReplyDelete