Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Orders Cancelled

Last Thursday the Commander calls me into the office and "suggests" that I request cancelling my assignment to Korea so I can help take care of Aimée. I went home and talked to her and she was more than happy to let me do that! After a few days and a few letters from Doctors and myself and the Commander we got notified this morning that the assignment was cancelled for Korea and Langley. I will stay here for the next 6 months and help Aimée out while she gets back on her feet. Once the first 6 months are over the doctors will evaluate Aimée and if we need another 6 months we go from there. If she is good then the hold is lifted and whatever happens, happens. No idea if that is Korea or points more sandy and hot!

I do have to say for those who haven't followed the last 4 years lets recap: when Aimée got sick the first time, my leadership told me to stay at her side. I lived in the hospital and didn't even know when I would have to put my uniform back on. Then we get med-evaced to Texas and the Major and Chief tell me to not even take my uniform. Before I flew they helped get things fixed with housing, hospital and other base organizations. I had orders to Omaha so we could be near Aimée's family and that only took about 2 weeks (wicked fast). While in Texas all I had to do was sit with Aimée. My hotel was paid plus food expenses and work shipped my car and house so we could get settled as soon as possible. My current work has never had issue with me attending EACH and EVERY appointment she has had. Then this month I had to stay by my wife's side again and all that was asked was "what do you need?" They even helped shovel the driveway before Drew could get to it.

The first stay cost the taxpayers more than $2M from 1 Oct 07 to 1 Oct 08. This stay cost $10k for just 3 days and 2 nights. What job would let you stay away from work, still pay your paycheck, and then cover CRAZY medical expenses and let you come back to work afterwards knowing you would have more times you would have to stay away.

Those who don't live the military life can be shortsighted and complain about the deployments and TDYs and long hours and such, but we didn't pay for the liver transplant and still got paid. I go to all of Aimée's appointments and have offers and support for cooked meals, shoveled driveways and choose where we are going to live to better take care of my wife. Do you think GM or Gateway or some other private company would do that much for you? This isn't the reason I signed up but I guarantee this is why I will not leave the Air Force anytime soon. I KNOW my family is taken care of and I KNOW that if I'm gone I have family anywhere in the world that will rise up and take care of them.

I love the Air Force because of how well they cover my back I KNOW I can take care of my wife. There is no way without the support we get that I could even come close to taking care of my wife. I would not have her at my side today if I worked for Hewlett Packard or anyone else. Just now way. I don't want to forget our family who has traveled, taken the kids, did laundry, provided advice, support and kept us in their thoughts for without them it would not be possible either but I am so thankful that I am in the Air Force. I love my job and that I can focus solely on my wife when she needs me and I don't have to worry about paychecks or insurance, it is just amazing.

Thanks to all those who have helped us with this stuff. We do remember all the doctors, nurses, medical staff, family, friends, and Air Force family who have made our lives easier during this crap. We really appreciate it!

3 comments:

  1. That is absolutely fantastic. and working in HR for a living, there aren't many companies out there that would do what the AF has done for you. That is why I proudly use my AF mug every day and sport my brother is in the AF sticker!!!!
    I love you guys and am so grateful they are letting you stand by her side to get her back on her feet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:02 PM

    Well put David. And thank goodness for the Air Force and all it has given you and your family. I'm so proud of you for what you do for our country and of Aimee and the kids for all they do to make your family what it is. All of you together are a great team!~Mom~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:49 PM

    That is really awesome. I'm glad that they are so great with helping you take care of your family. If only all jobs were like that!
    -Jodie

    ReplyDelete