Tuesday, February 08, 2011

"Chinese" Chicken Salad

I (Aimée) tried a new recipe tonight. My Mom made a version of this when I was growing up and she found the base recipe on Allrecipes.com for me. Being me, I tweaked it quite a bit, but we ended up with a wonderful meal! One of my favorites and Dave says it is now on his top ten!

Here is the recipe, and how I tweaked it:

Ingredients

2 tablespoons sesame seeds (I did not use sesame seeds because I couldn’t find them – I toasted ONE CUP of almonds instead)

1 1/2 tablespoons rice vinegar (I used 3 T)

1/2 teaspoon sesame oil (1 tsp)

2 tablespoons white sugar (1/4 C)

1/2 teaspoon salt (1 tsp)

1/4 teaspoon black pepper (1/2 tsp)

1/3 cup olive oil (2/3 C)

4 cups shredded cabbage (I used a large bag of hearts of romaine)

2 carrots, shredded

1 (3 ounce) package ramen noodles, crushed (2 packages)

Directions

In a small skillet, toast sesame seeds over medium heat until golden brown and fragrant. (nope, I toasted almonds in the microwave. For 2 ½ minutes, stirring every 30 seconds)

In a small bowl, mix together vinegar, sesame oil, olive oil, sugar, salt, pepper, and ramen seasoning packet.

In a large bowl, mix together cabbage, carrots, and crushed ramen noodles. Toss with dressing to coat evenly. Top with toasted sesame seeds.

Trust me – this was wonderful!

1 comment:

  1. sounds yummy! I think I have a similar recipe... I just never think to make it. I shall have to give it a whirl! thanks girlie!

    ReplyDelete