Friday, May 20, 2011

A Tale of Two Kidneys

So, the good news is that my liver is looking great. All the levels are where they are supposed to be.


The bad news? My kidneys aren't doing so hot. The last couple of times I've gotten my blood draw results, the creatinine levels have been elevated. I was referred to the Nephrologist (kidney doctor) at UNMC and had my appointment today.


When I was in liver failure, my kidneys also shut down which is why I was on dialysis in the hospital. While the kidneys did regain their function after the transplant, we were told that they would never come back to 100%. As of right now, they are at 30%, when ideally a person of my age should have kidneys that work at 90%.


The doctor we saw today was great, and I really appreciated her honesty. I asked her how bad this is, and she told us that it was pretty bad. So bad, in fact, that we're looking at a kidney transplant in the next few years, probably.


While I am feeling great right now (physically), I guess it is only a matter of time until I'm not feeling so great.


So, this is your heads up that things are going to start to get hairy for us again. Stupid kidneys.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, Amy, so sorry to hear that!! We'll keep you and your family in our thoughts and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:14 AM

    Praying for you Aimee
    Love,
    Katherine & Tony

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sara Sweet3:22 PM

    I'm sorry to hear this Aimee. I will keep you in my prayers, and let me know if you need anything.

    ReplyDelete