Monday, June 06, 2011

Kidney Update #1



I just got off the phone with the coordinator in the kidney transplant office. Specifically, my coordinator. That's right, kids! We are starting the transplant process now at the urging of the nephrologist.

My next appointment is the 17th, and I'm hoping to get a lot of my questions answered now that I have had some time to think about things and get my head in the right place. I have to say that going through this now is much different than my experience with the liver. For one thing, for now I have all of my mental faculties which I didn't even before I turned yellow with the liver. Going through this completely aware of everything, able to ask my own questions, find the place in my head and heart that I need to be, even updating the blog on my own, it is all new and different.

I'm sure you miss Dave's Liver run-downs, but I've decided that I'll be the one to update the blog about everything to do with the kidneys. Of course, I'm sure that he'll chime in every once in a while, you know how he is.

We told the kids what is going on when we found out that they wanted us to go ahead with the transplant process. Understandably, they were upset and we are working through that with them. I will say that I get a lot more hugs since then, though - which, I will gladly take!

As for Dave and me, I think at this point we are both just waiting for "what's next" and taking things one day at a time. He still has to work and I am doing my best to stay away from google and bing (my best isn't that great, as it turns out!) I'll admit that I am scared, but mostly of the unknown aspect to all of this. It is scary to think of the living donor, especially since some people I love very much have already offered to get tested to see if they are a potential match. Knowing someone would do that for you is beyond humbling.

The symptoms so far aren't terrible, but they are increasing as the days go by. The most noticeable to people outside of my body is the swelling of my feet, particularly the left foot. After an hour or so out, it swells up quite a bit and is doing so more and more as I go on. For me this is pretty embarrassing and annoying, although now my toes have started to tingle sometimes as well. Also, it is summer and swollen ankles and feet do NOT look hot in sandals and flip flops. Oh well.


I've noticed that I'm bruising even more easily than I did before and that I have a general exhaustion that is altogether different from the normal "I'm tired because I haven't slept in 24 hours" feeling that I am used to. It is the kind of tired that reaches your bones, and even if you can't sleep, you don't want to do much of anything else. I've felt this kind of tired before - any guesses when?

I think that sums everything up for now. I'm trying to keep myself in good spirits and to make sure God and laughter are a big part of this new chapter in my life. I know that we need both. And you! Thanks to our family and friends for all of your support so far. Just knowing that you're thinking about us, that you care, means the world to us. I'll keep you updated!

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:52 AM

    Great update Aimee. It is good that you are able to take some ownership of your condition this time and really good that you are in such good spirits. Jerry and I signed up for Team Transplant when we were rode in the Elephant Rock ride yesterday.(http://www.americantransplantfoundation.org/events/teamtransplant/2011-elephant-rock/) So next year we can ride as part of that team. I also spoke to lady that was a live donor a couple of years ago - so got lots of good info. Hang in there!
    Love sister Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great information for us all. Wew are all praying for you and love you. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just read it, and know that I am so proud of you! I know you had a lot of emotions to sort through and deal with from the liver stuff, and I know you will this time around as well, but I think you are in a much better place and the process will be a much healthier one for you. Taking charge of your own circumstances and treatment will only empower you and allow you to work through everything in a much better mindset! I love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aimee you are probably the strongest woman I know, you have already been through more than most people in an entire lifetime, and yet you are facing this next obstacle with such grace!! You are truly an inspiration my dear friend!!!! If I can do anything for you all you need to do is ask!!! I love & miss you dearly!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous2:06 AM

    Hi Aimée, I'm sorry hear that you're going down the transplant road again. You know I've been there, done that from the renal failure to the live donor transplant (coming up on 3 years!) so if you need anyone to talk to or advice on the renal diet then you know where to fnd me. Big hugs to you and the family.
    JaneE xx

    PS Why can't I comment with my Blogger ID? Aaaagh! Have things changed this much since I last blogged???

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous11:03 PM

    Praying for you Aimee, David & Children. Love, Katherine & Tony

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous11:20 AM

    What Kim said is SO right on! Also the next comment about you having such grace. I saw that in Hawai'i and was in such awe of you. You are a unique person. You have a great support group in all of us and I know in my heart this will work out just fine. It will be a long road but it will happen. Instead of worrying I am praying, so even I am stronger this time. My screen saver says With God All Things Are Possible, just a little reminder incase I skip a while without a little prayer. I blieve in God and I believe in you!~Peggy~

    ReplyDelete